Friday, June 27, 2014

Tutorial: Maxi Skirt with slits

Hey, everyone! For a while, I've been having the urge to make a maxi skirt with slits since many months ago when I binged through flourshur.com and saw these pictures. 


Sorry for the crappy comp pic of them. I wish I could find the originals, but she's posted so many things that it would take many hours before finding these pics again.
I posted these pics from Flourshur before in an inspiration post a couple weeks ago. I really like her fashion. 

I also saw this picture on tumblr that further increased my need to make a slit maxi skit.
I posted this pic on my most recent inspo post.

I really like the silhouette of a maxi skirt that's tight around the hips with slits to the knee, so I looked up a tutorial on google and found this great tutorial from Fine and Feathered. I was able to alter it somewhat for my own wants very easily. So, here is what I did:

I bought around 1.75 yards of a stretchy microsuede. It's really soft and comfy. You'll also need 1 inch wide elastic.

First, I spread out my fabric and measured what length I wanted my skirt to be + 4 inches.


Then I folded the fabric to the width of my waist all the way down to make a rectangle, with wrong side out. I pinned the open side till my knee. I tried it on to make sure it was to my knee, and then cut the other side to the same height.


Once it's to your liking, sew up the pinned side. Then fold a waistband on the inside of the skirt. I folded a bit over an inch and then curved in a seam allowance. Leave about 2 inches open to pull the elastic through.


I used a braided elastic, but it curled when I pulled the skirt up. So I recommend using the stronger elastic that is used in the Fine and Feathered tutorial. With the braided tutorial, I had to sew up vertically at parts around the waistband like this.


Once you've pulled the elastic through (use a safety pin to help it through easier), pin the elastic together and try on the skirt to make sure it's tight enough. When it is, sew the elastic and waistband closed.

Next, I sewed up the seams on slits. You don't have to if you cut the slits evenly, but I did not. I only folded it once to do the seams since knit fabrics don't fray.


The last thing I did was hem the bottom of skirt. Again, you don't have to since knit fabric doesn't fray.

And you're done!!



You can wear it with a plain tank for a casual outfit or spruce it up with a blazer or printed crop top.
This skirt can look really elegant with the right accessories!

Hope you all enjoyed the tutorial and try it out if you want! Send me the pics if you do :)

Thanks for reading, or just looking

PS: don't forget to check out my storenvy!! I added some more items last week

FOLLOW ME: INSTAGRAM | LOOKBOOK | BLOGLOVIN | STORENVY

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...