Monday, May 5, 2014

DIY Pompom trim shorts


This diy is pretty easy, as long as you have some sewing knowledge.

Got my inspiration for this DIY from a pic from my previous inspiration post:



For this DIY, you will need:


- some shorts (I thrifted mine)
- pompom trim of any color you like (Got mine at joanns; they only had a little left so I got the rest, I'd say no less than 1 1/3 yds, depending on your shorts width)
- thread the color of your shorts, or close to it
- pins


Before I did anything, I tried on the shorts. I noticed my shorts were longer than I wanted them to be, so I tried them on inside out and pinned them to my desired length. You don't have to do this if the shorts are already as short as you want them to be.

Because I don't have a sewing machine, I wanted to shorten the amount of sewing I would do. So I pinned the pompom trim to the bottom of my shorts where I wanted and backstitched along the bottom of the trim.
Next, I cut the excess off the folded fabric on the bottom of my shorts. Then, I folded the raw edges under the pompom trim. Then, I sewed the top of that part.
To save going back and sewing over the top of the trim, I did a series of stitches: one along the folded edge of the shorts, then one grabbing the loose edge of the trim and sewing it down to the shorts, like this: 


 You don't have to do it this way. I just did it to save time and energy. And you don't have to do it this way if you didn't change the length of your shorts like I did. You would already have a hem at the bottom, so no worries.

After a lot of handsewing and watching Bioshock playthrough videos from my favorite lets-player, HarshlyCritical, aka John, I was finished!


I had a tiny bit less than I needed to do two whole shorts holes, or whatever you call them haha. I probably only need two more pompoms to finish the right leg, but I think it looks fine without them. The empty space is in between my legs so I doubt anyone will notice. 


And here it is! I hope you all enjoyed the tutorial n try it yourself!! Send me the pics if you do. I'd love to see :)

FOLLOW ME: INSTAGRAM | LOOKBOOK | BLOGLOVIN

1 comment:

  1. this is a cool tutorial. i love diy fashion. your pink shirt is perfection too x

    aida

    http://sunshinesuperwoman.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...