Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Easy DIY Scrunchie!!

Hey, everyone!
We all know that the 90s are coming back. I've never got of scrunchies to be honest! Hehe
Just recently I've decided to make my own. There are so many cool fabrics out there, so the options are endless! Those American Apparel scrunchies are cool and good quality, but I know I don't always want to pay $12 for one scrunchie. 

So, here's my easy scrunchie tutorial! It will probably take less than 30 min to finish with a sewing machine.

 

You'll need:

- cool fabric of choice
- thread of a matching color
- measuring tape
- sewing needle
- 1/2 inch elastic

I picked my fabric up from Joann's. I like to look at the fat quarters in the quilting area. They're easier to pick up than the big spools of fabric and sometimes have different prints than you can find elsewhere. 
But, of course, if you see a cool print elsewhere, don't hesitate to get like 1/4 of a yard or however much you want. You really don't need much for a scrunchie.
 

 First, I measured the length and width I wanted. I chose 18 x 3.5 inches. The longer the piece, the more scrunchie it will be. The wider the piece, the taller it will be.

Next, I folded my piece in half longwise and inside out. Once that's done, flip your tube rightside out.

 For the elastic, I measured mine around my wrist since I know I wanted to wear it comfortably around my wrist. I didn't stretch mine out while measuring. Once you have a good size for you, cut the elastic a little bit longer than you measured.

So next, pull your elastic through your fabric tube. It's easier with a paper clip.

  

Sew the elastic ends together, then sew the ends of your fabric together. I sewed the fabric together by hand because I wanted an invisible stitch.

And you're done! :) Super easy

 

 

I made the floral one first and did not do an invisible stitch to close it. I also made it a little wider than the red one. You can see the size difference below.


I follow Scrunchies of Instagram and saw some cute tie scrunchies on there. So, if you want to add a little tie to your new scrunchie, follow these instructions!

 

When I was making the red scrunchie, I accidentally cut on the fold of my fabric, so I had two pieces of fabric the same size. I decided to just use that piece.

I folded that piece in half  and than in half again and cut it to a point on one side.

 I unfolded it after cutting and this is what it looked like: two piece of fabric, right sides facing each other.
 

I sewed the sides up except about an inch gap on one side.

 
 
 

Then I cut the edges of the points and clipped toward the seam on my curves.

 

 

Then, I turned it right side out and used a chopstick to poke out my points.
 

Next, I handsewed the gap to finish it up!

 

Tie it on your scrunchie and you're done!


Thanks for reading, guys! Which do you like best? 
If you try it out, tag me @retroberry ! :)

FOLLOW ME: INSTAGRAM | LOOKBOOK | BLOGLOVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...